Monday, January 6, 2014

The Rare Reporter takes a hiatus, indefinitely

When I first started writing about LGBT issues in 1982 for the mainstream media, I was one of the few journalists examining the subject. That's changed dramatically over the past three decades.

My coverage of the issues started with the AIDS epidemic, a couple of years before medical scientists identified HIV. Something sinister was taking the lives of gay men in terrifying numbers, and scientists suspected a blood-borne virus to be the culprit.

As the decade progressed I realized I wanted to write about the LGBT rights movement, and I began that with the mainstream media at Texas newspapers including Dallas Times Herald, continued it with a job at a straight alternative publication Dallas Observer, freelanced for national LGBT publications from California to New York, monitored anti-LGBT hate crimes during a stint at  Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, AL, and finally worked full-time for an LGBT publication Dallas Voice.

In 2008 I left the Dallas Voice's staff and moved to Cedar Creek Lake, but I've remained as busy as ever writing about LGBT issues as a freelancer for the Voice and other publications across the nation and for this blog, The Rare Reporter.

I'm proud of my work, and I have no regrets. I like to think I've made a contribution to my community, but it's time to retire from the beat. I want to pursue other interests, and I will never do that if I continue following the ever advancing LGBT rights movement. I never dreamed 30 years ago I would witness such dramatic developments in my lifetime.

I will always report and write about what intrigues me, but it willl no longer be about the LGBT rights movement, anti-gay hate crimes, the HIV epidemic, the LGBT media or any other related issue for my blog or the LGBT media.

I will continue publishing my blog about other subjects that interest me, and I will continue writing for CedarCreekLake.com and The Monitor, a Cedar Creek Lake newspaper owned by Media One. I also plan to continue writing about general issues  for LGBTSR.com because it represents the community to which I now belong.  If an important local LGBT story arises I will report it for the local publications as any responsible journalist should, but my coverage of LGBT issues will no longer be a speciality.

I made this decision at the end of the year with the knowledge that there are many well-qualified journalists covering LGBT issues today and the belief that it is time to leave the coverage to younger minds. It has not escaped my attention that we often think quite differently.

Everything comes to an end at some point, but it's not the end of The Rare Reporter. There will be more stories, but I plan to explore the world a bit more broadly.





1 comment: